Sunday April 6th – Day Nine, Adventures in Potty Training

As I mentioned in the previous post, my husband and I didn’t have the right information clearly presented to us – either that, or we glossed over the key information in the book that would have saved us a lot of headache and a lot of carpet cleaning. The latter seems more likely.

Before you can move on from peeing naked to peeing with pants on, your child needs to be able to do a couple of things: 1) manipulative his or her own clothes…you can’t be having drawstrings, buttons, clasps, etc holding their pants up because when it’s time to go, you’ve got maybe 5 seconds to get those pants down before it starts coming; and 2) they need to be able to go pee and poop on the potty on their own…expectations for this second prerequisite shouldn’t be too high or stringent because accidents are still going to happen. They don’t need to be perfect at going but you should continue seeing progress.

Day Nine was an awful day. By 10am, I needed to take a walk outside. I physically had to remove myself from the apartment because I was a source of negative energy. I felt frustrated, annoyed, guilty, and exhausted. Why did I feel this way so early in the morning, do you ask? Well, for starters, my day started at 6:30am. When you have kids, sleep in days just don’t exist anymore. But it wasn’t because I was tired that I became negative energy – it’s because I had been cleaning up pee all morning since 6:30am. Our son didn’t have a single success, and he had been naked. He wasn’t giving any signals, and if he did, he would pee on the floor and not save any for the potty. He would sit, then he would get up, take a few steps, and continue peeing. He was completely resisting the potty now, and it felt like it had been my/our fault for putting him in pants the day before.

When I got back from my walk, I felt refreshed, or at least until I saw my husband – he was sitting on the floor of our son’s room reading books with our son, and the room was half empty. My husband looked completely defeated and when I asked him if he was okay, he said “Things are bad. I’m okay, but things are bad. He peed on everything.” And literally, the bath tub was full of items from our son’s room. It was like a territorial dog had come into the room and urinated on every little thing it could cock its leg up onto. I could feel my husband’s defeat – not just sense it, I could feel it.

Our struggle continued for the rest of the day. We only had maybe 1 or 2 successes of pee in the potty, but that was it. It felt like Day Nine had become Day One. It didn’t feel like we had just been going through nine days of progress. We knew tomorrow would be another day, but what kind of day would it be?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s